Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Intel's 80-core, umm, controversy?

I don't know what amazes me more: that Intel has managed a relatively power-efficient 80-core processor capable of two teraflops, or that some people are said to be in a tizzy about this.

Didn't they watch that X-files episode where the evil scientist declares "Because I can!"? Didn't they watch those videos on Intel's blog with 20,000 pigs running amok!? - Cmon, 20k virtual pigs being rendered and tracked simultaneously with collision detection, tell me you're not impressed.

If I ever win the lottery and I tell you that I'm not going to quit my day job because I need something to do with my life, please, tell the lottery officials that they need to take that money back and give it to someone else. I think what we're seeing here is a similar lack of imagination.

Yes, few seem to know how to take advantage of the new capabilities offered by quad-cores, let alone 64 or 80. Yes, there is going to be some learning curve to leverage the power of these new processors. But since when is having potential so bad?

80-core processors ain't going to be out on the market or in my game-box anytime soon. No one is going to be asked to program software for such - yet. It's meant to showcase the potential of something and let others re-imagine their own potential. I would have thought this was obvious and obviously beneficial.

And yes, more powerful processors are going to find a use. Intelligent minds don't like a vacuum; creative curiosity will find applications. And, like the aforementioned articles said, one of my fav topics: virtual worlds - will find welcome use for such. And such will help enable same (I'm sure making a tasty profit for companies ready to step up and service the technology and service requirements of all these new demands.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your blog ended up on my alerts.

Of course you can upgrade to Poser 7 if you have a previous version of Poser, just send in an email request thru the web site.

Mark


Speaking of avatars, I walked over to the Poser desk next - or rather the e-Frontier booth. They also own Shade, btw, another great app that I've been meaning to buy. It's really great to see all those old Metacreations products, like Poser, still living on (see my Daz 3d post later somewhere in day 2) - alas for Canoma though. They've just passed through so many hands it seems, I wonder if I can ever get the current owners to honour my past copies for upgrade pricing?