Friday, April 4, 2008

Beauty of the Blowfish


I was amazed at how the fish effects were pulled off for The Chemical Brothers' video: The Salmon Dance. You would swear that they had used real fish. So I went and found an old blog post on Creative Review interviewing Framestore CFC's Ben Cronin, the VFX Editor for the video. The details left me even more impressed. Of course my favorite, like for most I think, is the beatbox blowfish. 360 individually drawn fish (I had been told it was 200) were created, with most of the animation and lip-synchronization done manually. I was impressed just watching the video but now - wow!

And yes, for you aquarium purists, the video mixes species that would never live in the same environment. Not only that, according to the interview, the blowfish is a composite of two different species and the squirrel fish has attributes scanned in from a fish market mullet. So just take it for fanciful fun - and fun it is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the MP3 e MP4, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://mp3-mp4-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.